Winnipeg: +1(204) 295-4449, +1(204) 417-8329

    678 McPhillips St. Winnipeg, MB R2X 2H3, Canada
    Mon to Fri 10 AM to 6 PM Sat: 8 AM to 4 PM

    Mississauga: +1(416) 278-4449

    149-2960 Drew Rd, Mississauga, ON L4T0A5, Canada Mon to Fri 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM, Sat: 10 AM to 3 PM

Family Class Sponsorship

Family Class Sponsorship

Family reunification is the pillar of Canadian Immigration. Policies of Canada’s Immigration system support family reunification, permitting established permanent residents or Canadian citizens and temporary (such as students, workers) to reunite with their family members, bringing them to Canada.

A Canadian Citizen and Permanent Resident of Canada can sponsor their close relative to come to Canada permanently. To qualify under Canada Family Class Sponsorship: The relationship between the Sponsor and the Sponsored Person (the Family Class immigrant) must be one of the following: Spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner; or Parent or grandparent; or Dependent child; or Brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild who is orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship; or Intended adopted child under 18 years of age; or Other relative, if the Sponsor has no relative listed above and no relatives who are Canadian citizens or Canadian Permanent Residents (limited to one relative only). The Sponsored Person must have a Sponsor who: Is a Canadian citizen or a Canadian Permanent Resident; and Meets the family class sponsorship requirements.To sponsor any one of them, you must be able to support them financially and make certain that they do not need the social assistance from Government. Also, to become a sponsor, one must promise to financially take care of the persons you are sponsoring for a period of time which is called as an undertaking.The length of undertaking varies from 3- 20 years depending upon the type of sponsorship. Canadian immigration has set out further sponsorship bar for Spousal sponsorship category, of 3 years for sponsors and 5 years for applicant.

To sponsor your spouse, your spouse can be either sex, at least 18 years old and must be legally married to you.

A common-law partner is the one who is not legally married to you, who is at least 18 years old and can be of either sex. You have been living with your common-law partner for at least 12 consecutive months, meaning you’ve been living together continuously for 1 year in a conjugal relationship, without any long periods away from each other. If time spent away from each other should have been short and temporary.

A conjugal partner is, who isn’t legally married to you or in a common-law relationship with you, has been in a relationship with you for at least 1 year and lives outside Canada, can be either sex and is at least 18 years old. There are certain scenario’s which are taken into consideration for this type of relationship.

You can sponsor Dependent children if they qualify as dependants, meeting requirements that they’re under 22 years old and they don’t have a spouse or common law partner. In addition to this, Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet these requirements, that is they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition or they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22.

You can sponsor your own child. If you’re a Canadian citizen, your child may also be a Canadian citizen, even if they weren’t born in Canada. If you’re sponsoring just your child, not your spouse or partner, you will name your child as the principal applicant in the application. You will have to confirm that the other parent or legal guardian agrees to your child immigrating to Canada.

There is no income requirement to sponsor your spouse or partner or dependent child. You only need to show that you have enough money to meet the income requirements if you’re sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own, or you are sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.

Contact us

Your message has been sent. Thank you!

Discuss Your Immigration Matter